Tuesday, May 06, 2008

First Law Of Games (music nazis make me want to vomit)

I titled this entry after possibly the most obscure mp3 I have in my collection. If you have it, and enjoy it, I would love to father your babies, or, on the flip side, carry your babies (but not in a gay way).

I guess you can't judge a person based on their musical tastes. I mean, you definitely can, but then you're that annoying chick my freshman year of college who engaged me in this wonderful discourse:

"Do you like Weezer?"
"Not really."
"What's your favorite song of theirs?"
"As I said, I don't really like them that much"
"Tell me"
"OK, I guess I like 'The Sweater Song', that's pretty good"
"YOU FUCKING POSER! It's people like you that destroy music and put crappy videos on MTV"
"I said I don't like Weezer"
"Whatever, go listen to Limp Bizkit, asshole"

That's pretty much verbatim, and yes, I'm sure I'm misspelling "Bizkit", but I'm not sure if that's the band's preferred spelling or complete bollocks. Honestly, probably both.

That was the same girl who criticized my friend for being into the "Dave Matthews Band". Music Nazis make me want to vomit.

Actually, taking that a step further, I guess I make myself vomit. I love weird, obscure music (weird 80's stuff, out there rock 'n roll, 'etc'), but if I meet someone who's into the same stuff, I generally have one of three reactions:

1) I'm in LOVE! (if it's a beautiful woman)
2) This person doesn't know as much about the band as I do. What a poser! (if it's a dude)
3) I'm confused about your sexuality (if it's a tranny)

Why do 20 somethings judge people based on their musical tastes? I'm not sure. I guess when you're searching for a concrete identity, you latch on to something that will define you concretely; glasses-wearing Weezer nerd, baggy pantsed hip-hopster, sullen-faced emo puss. "Hey, I'm not sure who I am, but this MP3 I just downloaded will tell the WORLD that I'm awesome!"

When you consider that we're here for what...? Like 75-85 years, and we waste our time judging and being judged based on our clothes, hair and music...what's the point? Personally I've got the "red wine philosophy" on life: drink it until everything starts sounding good.

Speaking of that, there's a 6 dollar bottle of vino calling my name.

But watch out, youngins! Too much wine and you might just find yourself being into these guys and that would be BADD.

No comments: