Saturday, February 07, 2009

Amoeba Check Out Girl/Doctor Who Fan

Last night, I had some friends sleep over. This morning, instead of primping and glossing my normally perfect self, I jumped out of bed for the requisite Los Angeles Brunch (co-starring super douches!). My sweater has huge rips in it around the collar and my hair looks slightly more barmy than Nick Nolte's after a coke bender.

In any case, 10 hours later (haven't changed or combed my hair), I'm stuck in my house waiting for a 10PM party. I think to myself: what can I do that will kill some time?

I know! A late 80s Doctor Who adventure.

Amoeba has a ton of DVDs but it's about a 20 minute walk away, so I have to sprint over there. After all, I want to see Doctor Who AND go to a party! (that might be the first time anyone has ever mentioned those two events in the same sentence)

Arriving even more disheveled, I pick up some Doctor Who goodness. I get to the checkout counter...

The checkout girl is a Janeane Garofalo sarcastic/monotone-voiced almost hipster, wearing a tight flannel button-down that obscures the lettering on her Ironic Tee.

I speedily saunter over to the counter. She looks at me and laughs. I'm not sure why.

Then she looks at the DVD.

"Oh, I'm kinda into 70s Doctor Who. I don't know much about the 80s stuff".

Surprised and vaguely embarrassed that buying Doctor Who DVDs at 7:30 on a Saturday was part of my routine, I played it naive-like.

"Oh, yeah, I just heard that it was a good show and I thought I'd check it out...or something..."

"Someone told me that the 80s episodes are as good as the 70s, but I wasn't sure if I believed them".

Confusion set it; do I reveal my nerdiness, or do I play it cool? I tried to do a little of both.

"Yeah, I mean, how could it be better than the floppy hat guy with the scarf?"

She vaguely cracked a half smile, as if to ask the question: 'if you just "heard that it was a good show", than why do you know exact references to it?'. I tried to uncontradict my contradiction.

"Uhh...but yeah, my friend said the 80s episodes were good, and I thought it was worth checking out."

That did it; I'm a filthy liar and she knew it. I gave her my credit card and she stared at it for a long while. My guess? The name Manson brought a slow realization that, to her, explained my bindle-lugging hobo appearance and pronounced awkwardness.

She peered over at a bus pulling up next to the store and said: "I love to look at the people in the bus when they look into the store; really confused and miserable. Just how I look on a bus". Maybe she was describing me.

Smirking, she handed me my receipt.

I guess I get extremely uncomfortable sometimes and harp on unimportant minutiae. Maybe that's what makes me such a gas at parties. Or maybe I just pass gas at parties. Either way, there's an empty 10 foot radius around me.

Off to watch "Survival"!

No comments: