Friday, November 21, 2008

Beauty is a...?

I remember reading a few months ago about a scientific study about beauty. I thought I might bring this up, as I have absoutely nothing interesting to say.

Scientists monitored brain waves as people looked at "attractive" things and "ugly" things. The results showed that the "attractive" things required less cognitive power than did the "ugly" things. The findings were thus:

Beauty can be defined as something uncomplicated to look at. The more we have to process what we see, the less attractive it becomes: the more deviations from the norm, the more we have to think about it; ergo, the less attractive it is to us.

Normal is hot, and unique is not.

Personally, it frightens me that the more we have to think about something, the more our brain rejects it. This would explain the last 8 years of foreign policy, however.

I'm all for hotties, biotches, the sexy, man-whores, etc; but I've never found "attractive" attractive. I like women who are beautiful, for sure, but I prefer those that look unlike anyone else.

For example, I would most likely vomit on Pam Anderson's flea-ridden underthings, while bowing mercifully at the dainty feat of Lisa Bonet circa 1986.
But that's just me.

Quoteth Frank Zappa:

Beauty is a bikini wax 'n waitin' for yer nails to dry
Beauty is a colored pencil, scribbled all around yer eye

Beauty is a pair of shoes that makes you wanna die

Beauty is a Beauty is a Beauty is a Lie


Basically; "beauty" is really boring.

No comments: