Friday, March 18, 2011

My Beard Fills That Giant, Unhappy Void

My face was feeling lonely. "Matt", my face said, "I'm lonely". That's how I knew my face was lonely. I never did quite figure out how it was able to talk to me, but that's a different story and potentially a b-plot in a Young Ones spec script that I'll never write.

So, to appease my face, I grew a beard. The only problem is that I technically can't grow a beard. I've run many o' academic tests and the scientific result was "patchy rabbi beard". But regardless, I tried. Then I tried again...and again. This was the best that I could come up with:



So not unlike my sex and professional life, my best was not even close to being enough. I looked like Zachary Qunito after about 15 minutes of not shaving. After that little factoid hit me, I cried just enough so that each hair on my chin was duly watered.

But here I am, sitting beardful, wondering why being beardful is even worth mentioning (or indeed if beardful is even a word). At some point in your life you have to wonder if anything's worth mentioning. There hasn't been a time in the last 15 years that my father hasn't said "oh, you know, the same old" after I asked him how he was doing. The difference? I'm 30 and he's almost 70. I appear to have settled into a rut nice and early and this fucking beard is the most interesting thing to have happened to me since my local Fox affiliate replayed season 6 of The Simpsons. Epic, if you ask me. Who the fuck did shoot Mr. Burns? I know damn well it wasn't that baby.

So here I sit, gently fondling my beard, rubbing it up and down in a shake weight-style fashion, wondering if life isn't slowly passing me by.

But on the plus side, the faster life passes me by, the quicker my beard grows. That's when I no longer look like Zachary Quinto and if that isn't some little semblance of solace, I don't know what is.

2 comments:

iJustine said...

Omg I just love your beard! It's so like totally manly and stuff. Let's get married and live in Paris! Omg!

Nikki said...

Well, now I know what kind of face you make while sitting on a toilet. Smexy ;)