Friday, September 24, 2010

Cake, the Velvet Underground and what that means to today's youth.

In yet another one of those ubiquitous hipsteriffic iPod commercials, I noticed a song I had heard before...except that I hadn't heard it before. That makes no sense, but then neither does the popularity of neon v-necks. Totally fucking baffling.

Anyway, allow me to explain:

Tell me if you can sense a similarity between this song, Short Skirt Long Jacket by Cake. (especially around the :28 second mark):



...and this song, Sweet Jane by the Velvet Underground (starting at the :16 second mark):



Now, I think Cake's a rad band, so they must have done this on purpose, right?

Either way, I really hate the "stupid kids not knowing what good music is" syndrome that these sorts of things foster. I'll give you two examples of what that means:

1) My Freshman Year of college, I was listening to David Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World. I asked my roommate if he knew the song and he said, and I QUOTE: "yeah, it's a shitty cover of a shitty Nirvana song". I cried for three weeks after that.
2) 2003: I put on Iggy Pop's The Idiot, and a friend who was sitting in the same room as me said, and I QUOTE: "cool! Is that the new Strokes album?" I cried for three months after that.

I guess the lesson here is that I do a lot of crying. Read the damn URL, sucker.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

If you're feeling up for a good cry, I read this in The Stranger a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-bob-dylan-torture-test/Content?oid=4792872

CWM said...

that's genuinely tear-inducing.