Thursday, December 03, 2009

CSS VS The Rolling Stones

I have an Of Montreal station on my Pandora, which if you know the band, either plays me mind-bending modern psychedelic synth rock, or...crap.

Well, a few weeks ago a song came on named Let's Make Love and Listen To Death From Above by a Brazilian band named CSS ("Cansei de Ser Sexy", or literally "I got tired of being sexy"). I immediately took to it for reasons I usually take to modern songs...it reminded me of another, undefinable song.

Well, I finally figured out what that other song was...Too Much Blood by The Rolling Stones off their woefully underrated 1983 album "Undercover".

The beat, the guitar riff, the style of speak-singing and even the basic chorus are extremely similar ("let's make love and listen to death from above" vs "too much, too much, too much blood!"...you can even sing one over the other.)

In fact, you can even "couple up" these couplets

Rolling Stones:
I want to dance, I want to sing I want to bust up everything And make some love

CSS:
Fight me, deny me if I fear when you're close Let's make love and listen death from above

The Rolling Stones song is a little more arranged and contains a horn section, but really...they're pretty similar; musically, at least.

Now, this probably wasn't deliberate on the part of CSS, but it's one of those delicious musical continuities that I love discovering, even if it would be of little-to-no interest to the casual listener.

Anyway, here are both the songs...what do you think?



CSS - Let's Make Love and Listen To Death From Above



The Rolling Stones - Too Much Blood

No comments: